If you’re a marketing agency or an individual consultant, you might have wanted to provide search engine optimization (SEO) services to one of your clients—but you either didn’t know how to execute a campaign, or you didn’t have the resources to do it properly. SEO is an incredibly popular digital marketing strategy, and for good reason; it’s inexpensive, almost universally beneficial, and has enormous potential for long-term growth. That said, it’s also complicated, so not all marketers can leverage it.
That’s where an SEO reseller program comes into play.
How Do SEO Reseller Programs Work?
SEO reseller programs, at their foundation, are simple. When a marketer becomes a reseller, they enlist the help of an experienced SEO agency. The SEO agency charges a set fee, usually at a wholesale rate, for SEO services performed for the end client. The reseller will typically act as the direct line of communication to the end client and will charge the end client a rate that allows them to be profitable.
Depending on the SEO reseller program, the services may include a la carte SEO services, or comprehensive SEO campaigns. These include things like keyword research, strategic positioning, onsite technical SEO, onsite content writing, link building, and even measurement and analysis. Most SEO agencies also offer white label services by default, allowing SEO resellers to offer these services as if they were their own.
The Advantages for Existing Marketers
If you’re a marketing consultant, a marketing agency, or something similar, an SEO reseller program could help you in several ways:
- Higher profitability. First and foremost, you’ll have a chance to increase your agency’s revenue and profitability. You’ll be paying a wholesale rate for SEO services and charging your clients a reasonable profit margin, on top of whatever other services you’re already offering them. For most marketers, this leads to a measurable increase in net income.
- Additional services for your clients. Your clients will also be happier. You’ll be providing them a wider range of services, and ensuring they get better results. Depending on what you’re currently offering, SEO may be entirely new to them, or these peripheral services could expand their existing campaign. Either way, they’re going to be seeing more comprehensive work done for their website, and they’re going to be grateful for the results.
- More reliability. If you’re new to the SEO game, you know how nerve wracking it can be. What worked well for one client may not work as well for another, and if you end up hitting a plateau, you may not know how to troubleshoot the issue or get around it. Working with an SEO agency, you can count on more reliability; you’ll have a professional who will be accountable for getting your clients better results, and they likely have more resources and more experience than you do.
- Flexibility and scaling. One of the best features of an SEO reseller program is how flexible it is. You aren’t required to provide services for a minimum number of clients, nor are you required to provide a specific combination of services. You can get help from your SEO agency of choice as you see fit. For many SEO resellers, this provides an excellent opportunity for scaled growth, allowing them to gradually add new clients and provide more work.
- Education and SEO mastery. It’s possible to teach yourself how to plan and execute an SEO campaign, but it’s much easier if you have an expert providing you with advice and guidance. If you work as an SEO reseller, you’ll get a firsthand look at how this SEO agency operates. You can ask questions, get involved (where appropriate), and ultimately improve your own skillset.
Getting Started as a Reseller
If you’re interested in getting started as an SEO reseller, you’ll need to take a few important steps:
- Inventory your current offerings. First, understand what you’re currently able to offer your clients. Are you providing any SEO services currently? If so, what do you perceive as your areas of weakness?
- Analyze your needs and goals. What do you hope to achieve with your engagement in a reseller program? Are you merely trying to increase your revenue and/or profitability? Or is it more important to get your clients better results?
- Begin interviewing SEO agencies. Once you understand your needs, goals, and current situation, you can start interviewing different SEO agencies. What types of services do they offer? What is their pricing model? How do they communicate with their resellers?
With the right SEO reseller program, your agency can make more money and provide better results to your clients at the same time. Just make sure you do your homework and treat your engagement as a collaborative partnership.
Brian Carter is a popular business expert and keynote speaker with Fortune 500 clients like NBC, Microsoft and Humana as well as small businesses. He delivers motivational keynotes with practical takeaways with the comedic flair of his stand up comedy background. His agency, The Brian Carter Group, creates marketing that excites customers and increases brand visibility, sales and loyalty. Brian is a bestselling author you’ve probably seen on Bloomberg TV or in Inc, Entrepreneur, The Wall Street Journal or The New York Times. He has over 250,000 online fans and reaches over 3 million people per year.