Think of viral marketing as a marketing strategy that aims to create a buzz around a brand, product, or service by encouraging people to share it with their friends and family through various channels including social media, email, or word-of-mouth. Consequently, viral marketing can be a cost-effective way to reach a large audience and even build brand credibility and loyalty, but it requires careful planning, creativity, and a deep understanding of your target audience’s needs and preferences – whether you’re marketing cleaning services or children’s books.
Here are some tips to make your viral marketing campaign more effective.
Create Shareable Content
The key part of viral marketing is the goal that the content will be shared so you first and foremost want to make your content shareable. How do you make content shareable?
First, it’s a good idea to keep it concise as people are more likely to share content that is short and to the point. Also, try to incorporate humor because people love to laugh and share funny content with their friends and family. Then, make it simple for your audience to share your content by including prominent social media sharing buttons on your website, blog, or social media posts.
Emotions are a powerful tool for making your content more memorable and thus shareable because they are a fundamental part of human nature.
Luckily, there are several emotions you can invoke. For example:
- Nostalgic content can evoke powerful feelings of motivation, hope, and positivity
- Fear is a compelling emotion that can be used to grab people’s attention and make them take action
- Sadness is an emotion that can inspire empathy and compassion in your audience
- Surprise can be used to grab people’s attention and create a sense of excitement or anticipation
When using emotions in your content, it’s important to be authentic and sensitive because things can backfire if it’s perceived as manipulative or insensitive.
Use Influencer Marketing
Influencer marketing is one of the most effective tools for increasing the reach and impact of your viral marketing campaign as influencers are people who have a large following on social media or other digital platforms, and the ability to influence opinions and behaviors.
However, collaborating with influencers requires careful planning and execution for the best results. For example, you want to choose influencers who have a strong following in your niche, as well as whose values and style align with your brand because this way you can allow creative freedom with their content and messaging without worry.
Use Paid Promotion
Similar to influencer marketing, paid promotion can boost the reach of your viral marketing campaign.
Here are some tips for using paid promotion effectively:
- Select platforms that align with your target audience and marketing goals such as LinkedIn for working professionals
- Take advantage of targeting options offered by platforms to reach your ideal audience based on factors like age, location, interests, and behaviors
- Monitor the performance of your ads and adjust your targeting, messaging, and visuals as needed
Remember, going viral is not guaranteed. But by following these tips, you can increase your chances of creating content that reaches and resonates with your audience enough to go viral.