Are you running Facebook ads and sending traffic to your website or e-commerce store or squeeze pages but not getting leads or sales or newsletter signups?
If your Facebook ads aren’t getting leads or sales, the real problem may be very, very simple.
It’s tempting to think:
- “Facebook ads don’t work!”
- “People don’t like what I’m offering!”
- “I’m horrible at ads!”
It might be much simpler than that.
If you don’t create website conversion ads, AND set up conversion tracking properly, you may get a ton of traffic and no conversions.
Every Facebook ad has one goal, and only does a good job at that goal. (This GOAL is actually set at the campaign level, by the way)
- A boosted post gets likes comments and shares. Sometimes it will get you some expensive link clicks ($1-2 CPC) Maybe one of those people will convert but it will be very expensive.
- A website traffic ad simply gets you traffic. There’s no guarantee that these people will convert.
- A video view ad gets you video views… same deal as with boosted posts, if you get clicks and conversions, they’ll be expensive. And by the way, you can create website conversion ads with videos in them… so if you want conversions, don’t choose the “get video views” objective.
If your goal is leads or sales, you have to choose INCREASE CONVERSIONS ON YOUR WEBSITE.
But that’s not all. If you don’t set up conversion tracking, your ad will still function like a website traffic ad, getting you a bunch of looky-loos who do nothing of value on your website.
So you have to go to the PIXEL section of Ad Manager, put that pixel on every page of your website, and then set up your conversions. There are two types of conversion tracking these days, and we find that Custom Conversions are more reliable. We’ve had a couple of clients where the Standard Events conversions did not track accurately.
Setting up this tracking can be nerdy and frustrating, and you need to check the conversions to make sure they’re active and the pixel dashboard to make sure those conversion URL’s are showing up BEFORE you run your ads, or you will waste a ton of money.
There are many other reasons why Facebook ads don’t work… the wrong placements, the wrong targeting, bad copywriting… but if you don’t START with website conversion ads and conversion tracking, none of the rest of that matters.
To learn more about this and everything about how to get better Facebook ad results, get into my course: The Facebook Leads and Sales Machine.